There are a number of job roles in the world of data, from Data Analyst to Scientist and Engineer; each adding value to a business and enabling companies to become data-driven. If you’re unsure of the difference between the roles, check out our blog on defining data professionals.
Once you know the difference, it’s important to understand the responsibilities of each position and what they can do for your business.
What does a Data Analyst do?
The key priority for a Data Analyst is to add value to the business, supporting the strategic goals. They make the data that a company owns comprehensible and actionable. Answering business questions through data, Analysts build the warehouse infrastructure, run SQL queries against data sets and present the information, using dashboards and visualisation tools. Analysts communicate ideas to stakeholders through data visualisation. Executives can then make informed decisions from this data.
5 Data Analyst tasks:
- Reporting – Analysts are responsible for producing and maintaining reports for business users, both internal and external. Reports provide insights and uncover trends. Great Analysts will tell a story through data, building a narrative which is easily understood by decision makers.
- Bespoke analysis and recommendations – Using the data and insights gathered, an Analyst can reveal patterns and use this information to build recommendations for their client.
- Data processing – A clean data set is requires to build dashboards. An Analyst will gather, clean and process the data in order to do this.
- Self service dashboards – Once the data has been processed, self service dashboards can be produced, empowering each business function to uncover the data they need. Analysts remove the technical barriers to data for others through dashboards and visualisation tools.
- Instrumentation – If all of the data isn’t present, business questions can’t be answered. However, an Analyst will recognise if and when data is missing, highlighting when and where further information needs to be captured.
For Analysts, by Analyst
kleene was built for Analysts, by Analysts. We provide scale-ups with the data infrastructure necessary to build their single source of truth and empower analysts to deliver value (without the need for data engineering!). Our end-to-end automation and analysis removes the headache of data. Don’t worry if there isn’t in-house data expertise, kleene can handle your strategy, report building and much more!
Want to take the next step and hire a Data Analyst? Firstly, you need to understand the process to make sure you find the right person for the job. So take a look at our blog How to hire a Data Analyst – top 5 skills and how to identify them, to find out more.
Not ready to hire an Analyst? No need to. We offer Analytics as a Service, to help guide your business. We’ll provide you with a dedicated Analyst and uncover actionable insight.
Book a demo today to start solving your data problem!